Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Back in the Shop

Before I went in for hip surgery, three weeks ago, I started a trestle table with round ends.  The round ends posed a bit of a challenge as a hand cut radius is very hard to make to appear true.  So, I made a jig for the router and cut the curves that way.


The edge treatment for this table base and top is a round that is less than a bullnose.  A router is used to define a uniform depth and then the curve is shaped by hand with a plane.  Below, shows the edge of the table routed and then finished.



Since I have recovered I have been working on the trestle base for the table.  I am make the joints with full through tenons, top and bottom that are wedged and pegged.

This detail of the trestle foot, shows the edge treatment that all of the parts receive.


A few shots of the shop below on a nice sunny day.





Below are a couple of Cod Rib Rockers that I dropped off at the Edgewater Gallery in Middlebury, VT just before my surgery.



And finally, below are some shots that show a 5' Waltham Bench seat being shaped. Another project that I finished before my surgery.













Enjoy the sunny weather. I got out for my first bike ride with my new hip.  That was really fun even if it was just 1/4 mile or so.  Happy Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment