Saturday, June 25, 2011

Cherry Trestle Table with Leaves

I just finished this table yesterday and am now sitting and waiting for the shippers to get here to take it to California. Ok, I am working on the computer. You caught me.

Below is a shot of the table with the end leaves attached. It is 6' long without leaves and 8' long with the leaves. The challenge of this project was to make the method of attaching the slides work well, be strong, and look great.  I think I succeeded on this one.  My feeling is that, I hate to cut a table in two in order to have it extend. I like the main table to be rock solid on its own. That is why I like the idea of end leaves.

The darker strip of wood is the breadboard end that is part of the table itself.  The leaf is shaped to mate to the convex surface of the breadboard end.
The hollowed edge of the leaf is designed to mate to the convex edge of the end of the main table. 

Here, you can see the keyed saddle joint that holds the leaf firmly in place.

This shows the leaf support slides in their resting position, with the leaves off.

Here is the table without the leaves with one of my New Waltham side chairs.
You can see more about this table at my website.
Have a good one,
Tim

1 comment:

  1. I just sent you an email, but it bounced.

    I just found your blog. I added it to the blog aggregator on my site at UnpluggedShop.com.

    When you make a new post, within about two hours, the headline will automatically appear on my site so woodworkers everywhere can click over to your site and read it.

    If you ever have any questions or concerns, please let me know.

    I usually try to get blogs that are at least 50% woodworking hand tools or of unique interest to hand tool users.

    If there are any other blogs you would like to suggest, please let me know. You can see a list of the blogs currently being followed on this page:
    http://unpluggedshop.com/content/sites-we-follow

    A link to my homepage or blog is always appreciated, but not required.

    Thanks,
    Luke Townsley

    ReplyDelete